The NBS Academy project
The NBS Academy project sets to create a European Community of Practice (CoP) of teacher education and training providers, teachers, policy makers and other education experts focused on developing and testing new professional learning programmes for improving teachers’ competences on Education for Environmental Sustainability (EES) by utilising nature-based solutions (NBS).
The mission of NBS Academy is to empower teachers and teacher trainers across Europe with the knowledge, skills, and resources needed to integrate NBS into their teaching practices. Our aim is to support the implementation of NBS in education as an effective tool for environmental education, fostering a sustainable and resilient future for our communities and ecosystems.
For the purposes of this project, NBS are understood as “Solutions that are inspired and supported by nature, which are cost-effective, simultaneously provide environmental, social and economic benefits and help build resilience. Such solutions bring more, and more diverse, nature and natural features and processes into cities, landscapes and seascapes, through locally adapted, resource-efficient and systemic interventions. Nature-based solutions must therefore benefit biodiversity and support the delivery of a range of ecosystem services.”2
Our vision is to build the first Academy promoting and mainstreaming NBS in teacher education for teachers and create a network of educators who champion NBS. NBS Academy will establish, coordinate, and support the creation of an international network of ITE and CPD providers connected to teachers, NBS experts, and policymakers to promote NBS in teacher education. This international network of stakeholders will set the ground for developing Collaborative Learning Communities (CLCs), who will join forces for developing innovative ITE and CPD courses, paving the way for integrating NBS in education.
NBS Academy is a groundbreaking project, committed to transforming education through the exposure of innovative methods around the concept of NBS. As pioneers in this field, we recognize the key role of teacher education and CoPs. Our project fosters a supportive and collaborative learning environment that encourages educators to embrace creativity, critical thinking, and hands-on experiences. Rooted in the principles of sustainability and environmental stewardship, NBS Academy serves as a catalyst for change, shaping a future where NBS are integrated into educational practices in and outside of the classroom.
Erasmus+ Teacher Academies
Project expected results include:
- International network of ITE and CPD trainers design innovative NBS education programmes for their trainees.
- ITE and CPD trainers connected to teachers, NBS experts and policy makers promoting NBS in teacher education.
- NBS is integrated in teacher education across Europe through co-designed and co-created training courses for ITE and CPD.
- Tested and validated NBS teacher training courses and mobility schemes fostering NBS teacher education in Europe.
- NBS scaled and transferred across Europe through project’s motivational tools and measures.
- Evidence-based policy recommendations support EU and national policy makers in integrating NBS in teacher education.
Some of the key project products are listed below:
- Educational framework for promoting learning through NBS Collaborative Learning communities’ strategy and support mechanisms.
- Report on training needs of teacher trainers.
- Train the Trainer toolkit.
- ITE modules course on NBS Education.
- CPD modules course on NBS education.
- International Summer School on NBS teacher education.
- Virtual Reality mobility scheme on NBS Teacher education.
- MOOC on NBS Education for teacher training.
- Policy recommendations.